Does your drain smell like something has croaked? Here is a very simple recipe for an environmentally friendly solution to cleaning smelly drains and minor blockages. So before you rush out and buy a commercial drain cleaning product and the harsh chemicals that come with it, try this first!
Baking soda and vinegar are natural, non-toxic ingredients posing no health dangers while unclogging drains. They are preferable to the sodium hydroxide, commonly known as lye, found in most drain cleaners.
When baking soda (base) is combined with vinegar (acid), they form carbon dioxide and sodium acetate. This presents as the bubbles scrubbing the drain’s insides. These natural, non-toxic ingredients get flushed further down ensuring a clog-free drain.
Now, on to the actual smelly drain cleaner!
- 2 cups baking soda
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- Pour 1 cup of baking soda down the drain, making sure that it makes it down the drain.
- Pour 2 cups of boiling water down the drain. The baking soda mixed with boiling water will dissolve the sludge and gunk in the pipe.
- After a few minutes pour the second cup of baking soda then add 1 cup of white vinegar and plug the drain immediately. There will be foaming and bubbles and you will hear some sizzling from the drain.
- When things get calmer, add the remaining boiling water down the drain.
- Repeat this process if necessary.
This should help with smelly drains and even minor blockages. For more serious blockages read our post on how to unblock a drain for more DIY tips or contact us about our drain unblocking services for Gold Coast residents.