So, you want a new kitchen?
Every morning over a hot cuppa you’re reminded that your kitchen needs a little (or a lot of) love.
Whether it’s a few additions to freshen up the hub-of-the-house or a full on knock down, drag out, ‘eat takeaway for weeks, while the dream kitchen takes shape’ scenario, the reasons we go the reno route are varied.
Do any of these ring true for you?
Signs your kitchen is due a makeover
Deterioration – it’s obvious that it’s the busiest room in the house – it’s showing the wear and tear. It’s outlived its usefulness – it’s just time for a full on facelift.
Value – it’s one of the key rooms in your home that, when renovated well, can add value. So, if you’re thinking of selling, this is especially important.
Lifestyle – You and the previous homeowner obviously have different ideas about how a kitchen should be used. Or, maybe your own needs have changed. Whichever it is, your kitchen and your lifestyle are currently not a match.
It’s outdated – unless retro is the vibe you’re going for, maybe it’s high time you made yours more contemporary and brought it forward a few decades.
It doesn’t look like those on TV – when you look at your kitchen it doesn’t come close to anything you’ve seen on Better Homes and Gardens, My Kitchen Rules or The Block. And, it’s time yours was camera ready, especially seeing you just put in your application for the new cooking show “Plate of Origin”.
Special needs – the needs of an aging or special needs family member may need to be accommodated so some changes are a priority for you.
Energy savings – from more efficient lighting, to energy efficient appliances, there can be some terrific energy savings to be gained from an upgrade and it’s time to make your kitchen more planet-friendly.
2020 top kitchen trends
If you’re going to go the reno route, you’re going to want to be on trend, right?
Here’s what’s on trend for 2020…
- The use of natural materials – from bamboo to quartz, kitchens’ are boasting natural materials and kicking synthetics to the kerb
- Splashes of colour are making a statement in everything from seats, to cabinetry, to multicolured splashbacks!
- All area lighting is creating some moody kitchen feels
- Incorporating some clever storage solutions is now kitchen status quo
- Open shelving provides an opportunity to get creative and make a statement
- Clean and fresh benchtops add clean and uncluttered lines to add to the openness of even the smallest kitchen
- Stylish tapware that’s both functional and beautiful – from the trust stainless steel to the warmth of rose gold, to the added drama of black or bronze, tapware is adding a contemporary accent
- Smart technology, innovations and increased energy and water efficiencies are being built in from the start
- Under counter fridges and gas hobs integrated into benchtops are providing improved functionality along with energy efficiency
- Scratch and stain resistant flooring is yet another feature of the in style on-trend kitchen that is both functional and Fido-friendly!
The Gold Coast Plumbing Company team knows their way around a kitchen.
Not to toot our own horn, (okay, maybe just a little!), the GCPC team is pretty handy to have around the kitchen. Not only do we make a mean cuppa, when it comes to kitchens, we’ll help you:
- Fix those leaky faucets
- Clear those blocked drains
- Install, fix and replace kitchen tapware – from mixers, to filter taps and pullouts and pillars, we’ve got taps on tap for purchase too!
- Rescue valuables dropped down the drain
- Install, fix, and supply sinks of all sorts
- Supply, install, fix and remove garbage/waste disposal units, or Insinkerators and related products
- Install, fix and supply reverse osmosis unit or standard filtration water filtration systems, cartridges and related products
- Install dishwashers
- Install, fit and connect your household gas appliances
- Install gas lines and prepare gas system compliance certificate submissions
Tips for kitchen reno success
Success doesn’t just happen, it’s planned for. And, that is true with any reno project! So, here are some tips to get it right:
- Don’t overspend – set a realistic budget and stick to it
- Complete a section at a time where possible so that it’s still usable
- If you can’t do it all at once, clarify your vision and bring it to life a phase at a time
- Avoid an identity crisis – honour the existing style of the rest of your home and work with it rather than against it
- Keep up with trends, determine what works for you, don’t rush it, let time work for you as it may lead to identifying less expensive options or being able to shop the sales
- Hire licensed professionals – cabinetmakers, tilers, electricians and of course, us plumbers
- Consider salvaging existing cabinets, appliances and decor pieces – not everything has to be new
- Don’t scrimp on new hardware – in a high traffic area like the kitchen, getting the highest quality you can afford will serve you well
- Take advantage of free advice and tap into the plethora of DIY resources available to amp up your own know-how
- Use this as an opportunity to Marie Kondo the crap out of over stuffed drawers and cupboards
Kitchen reno costs
When it comes to kitchen upgrades, you gotta ask yourself, “Is the juice worth the squeeze?”
In other words, are the costs worth the added benefit of even a low end budget reno? Usually the answer is yes, but how much will that ‘squeeze’ cost you?
There are no absolutes when estimating a kitchen reno. But, according to the Housing Industry Association’s 2019 report, the average cost to renovate a kitchen is around $26K.
- Budget renos usually come in under $10k
- Mid-range improvements can run between $15k and $25k
- The spic high-end variety can start at $35k and grow from there.
If even the budget end is more than you have to work with, don’t worry. A new appliance, an updated sink and new tapware can go a long way in improving both the look, the functionality and even the efficiency of the hub of the house.
If a kitchen reno is on the menu in your home, we’re here to help!
If you were hungry for some kitchen reno info and inspo, then we hope we’ve satiated your appetite.
If you’re going ahead with a kitchen upgrade or total overhaul, don’t forget, we can provide professional plumbing services and gas fitting services and some sound advice.
And, we can even hook you up with some new fancy pants tapware, sinks, and filtration kits and supplies from our extensive catalogue.
So, if a kitchen reno is on the menu in your home, we’d be happy to help.
From gas fittings, to water filters, from chrome mixers, to goosenecks, we’ve got everything plumbing related for your kitchen reno, including the kitchen sink!
Call us on 1300 390 361.